We’ve always been big supporters of flu vaccine & with the return to in person learning and COVID-19 having so many similar symptoms as seasonal flu, vaccination this year is even more important! We’ve been battling flu shipment delays but have received additional supply and appointments are now available on MyChart. If you are unable to find an appointment available via MyChart, please check back regularly
Here is how our patient population may access flu vaccine:
We will be primarily vaccinating our patients via a series of clinics. Appointments are required & should be scheduled via MyChart. Each & every patients attending a clinic will need an appointment scheduled & online pre-screening done beforehand! If you need assistance setting up MyChart accounts, please call the office. Clinics will look a bit different again this year due to COVID-19:
- Masks for everyone 2+ years, with no extra parents/siblings in attendance please!
- We’re reducing in person contact by using MyChart for online pre-screens & avoiding exchanging paperwork/pens (screens are sent 2 days prior to your appointment)
- Please adhere to your assigned appointment time to avoid overcrowding!
- One way traffic in & out of the office
- Regular cleaning of exam rooms throughout the clinic
- Wearing of appropriate PPE
Scheduled well visits
If your child has a scheduled well visit, eligible children may receive flu vaccine at their appointment. Due to COVID-19, we kindly ask that you call ahead if you have a sibling that you would like to bring along for flu vaccine.
Some patients may not be ideal candidates for flu clinics, so our nurses will be available on select weekdays for patients with severe developmental delays, history of fainting after vaccines, or those who are severely needle phobic. Please note that flu nurse appointments in Woburn will be completed on the first floor (Suite #100) & these appointments are available for scheduling via MyChart or by calling our office.
Other local facilities
If the above options are not optimal for your family, there are many other local clinics offering vaccination. Check with pharmacies (Walgreens, CVS, Target, Stop & Shop, etc.), urgent care clinics (Carewell, AFC, Minute Clinic, etc.), and other facilities (local boards of health, schools, Passport Health) on their availability, what age they vaccinate, & what their hours are. If your child is vaccinated elsewhere, please send us a non-urgent MyChart message with the date and location of administration so that we can update your child’s medical record.
Flu Vaccine Key Points
You can read more on vaccinating children for seasonal flu here, but here are some key items you need to know:
Flu vaccine is recommend for ages 6 months and over.
We typically vaccinate with Fluzone, a quadrivalent preservative free flu vaccine.
Children 6 months thru age 8 years being vaccinated with flu vaccine for the first time (never had flu vaccine before OR have previously only gotten one dose) need a booster dose. Booster doses are spaced at least 4 weeks (28 days) apart.
Flu vaccine is safe for individuals with minor egg allergies. If your egg-allergic child is able to tolerate baked egg containing products & has never experienced allergic symptoms other than hives, he/she is able to receive flu vaccine.
Flu vaccine usually takes about 2 weeks to provide protection.
Visiting Us for a Flu Clinic/Vaccine Appointment
- Please login to MyChart two days prior to your scheduled appointment (you will need to do this separately for each child coming in). Please go through the pre-visit validation and be sure to complete the pre-vaccination questions AND the COVID-19 screening questions.
- Please note that patients 13+ years will need to login to their own MyChart accounts to complete these pre-visit questionnaires. Even though parent/guardian was able to schedule this flu clinic appointment for them, the teen’s account needs to complete the screens.
- If you or your child have been exposed to a symptomatic person diagnosed with COVID-19 in the last 14 days, or has a fever/significant illness, we kindly ask that you reschedule your flu clinic appointment. Children often have runny noses throughout the fall season so as long as they can safely mask, he/she may be vaccinated for flu.
- Please adhere to your appointment time. In the past we were able to be much more flexible with clinic appointment times, but we must be more thoughtful during COVID-19.
During the Clinic:
- Please observe your flu clinic appointment time. In the past we were able to be much more flexible with clinic appointment times, but we must be more thoughtful during COVID-19.
- Every adult and child over 2 years should wear a mask or face covering throughout their visit to our office.
- Please observe office signage to remind you to pay attention to social distancing. Traffic will flow one way – check in at the front as usual and exit out the back door. Don’t stress – our staff is ready to direct you in the most calm and efficient way possible!
Follow Up & Post Clinic Instructions:
- Children 6 months thru age 8 years being vaccinated with flu vaccine for the first time (never had flu vaccine before OR have previously only gotten one dose) need a booster dose. Booster doses are spaced at least 4 weeks (28 days) apart & these appointments can be scheduled with our nurses.
- You can obtain a copy of your vaccines via MyChart should you need to provide documentation to schools or other programming. Printable copies can be obtained by logging into MyChart on a desktop (rather than mobile device).